Sports
Nigeria’s Football Ambitions Hinge On Improved Infrastructure And Foreign Expertise, Says Amaju Pinnick
Amaju Pinnick, the president of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), has emphasized the need for the country to invest in better infrastructure and consider hiring foreign coaches to elevate its football standards. In an exclusive interview with Arise TV, Pinnick stressed that these elements are crucial to Nigeria’s quest to become a formidable force in global football.
Pinnick, who has been at the helm of the NFF since 2014, acknowledged the country’s passion for football but noted that passion alone is insufficient to achieve success. He highlighted the importance of modern infrastructure, including top-class stadiums, training facilities, and youth development programs.
“Our infrastructure is still lagging behind, and we need to invest in better facilities to develop our players and attract top-notch coaches,” Pinnick said. “We must create an environment that fosters growth and excellence.”
The NFF president also emphasized the value of foreign coaches in improving Nigeria’s football fortunes. He cited examples of successful national teams that have benefited from foreign expertise, such as France’s Didier Deschamps and Germany’s Joachim Löw.
“We need to be open-minded and consider hiring foreign coaches who can bring fresh perspectives and expertise to our teams,” Pinnick stated. “It’s not about neglecting our local coaches but about complementing their skills with international best practices.”
Pinnick’s call for improved infrastructure and foreign coaches has resonated with Nigerian football stakeholders, who see his vision as a necessary step towards reclaiming the country’s status as a football powerhouse.
“Amaju Pinnick’s words are a wake-up call for us to invest in our football infrastructure and seek global expertise,” said Segun Adelaja, a former Nigerian international. “We have the talent, but we need the right environment and guidance to succeed.”
As Nigeria continues its quest to become a dominant force in African and global football, Pinnick’s emphasis on infrastructure and foreign expertise serves as a reminder that success requires a combination of passion, investment, and strategic planning
Sports
British-American Duo Win First Grand Slam Together in Melbourne
Sports
Justin Rose Sets 36-Hole Record, Opens Four-Shot Lead at Torrey Pines
Justin Rose maintained his imperious form at the Farmers Insurance Open on Friday, producing a brilliant seven-under-par 65 on the demanding South Course at Torrey Pines to open up a four-shot lead at the halfway stage of the tournament. The Englishman, who had set the early pace with a stunning 62 on the easier North Course on Thursday, followed it up with another composed display, recording six birdies and an eagle against a lone bogey.
His two-round total of 17-under-par 127 established a new 36-hole scoring record in the history of the event. Rose’s second-round effort was particularly eye-catching given the difficulty of the South Course, a venue where he previously claimed the Farmers Insurance Open title in 2019 and where he famously finished runner-up at the 2013 U.S. Open. Reflecting on his performance, the 45-year-old said he was pleased with his decision-making and ability to recover from difficult situations, noting that his putter proved decisive whenever he found himself under pressure.
Ireland’s Seamus Power sits in second place on 13-under-par after a solid round of 66, which he capped with an eagle on the ninth hole. Power expressed confidence heading into the weekend, pointing to improvements in his long game after leaning heavily on his putting in the opening round. Americans Joel Dahmen and Max McGreevy are tied for third at 11-under-par. Dahmen surged with a 63 that included three eagles, while McGreevy carded a steady 67 to remain in contention.
Former world number one Brooks Koepka also enjoyed a positive day, securing his place in the weekend in his first PGA Tour appearance outside the majors since 2022. The five-time major champion shot a 68 to make the cut on the mark at three-under-par, marking a significant step in his return to regular Tour competition following a 14-week layoff. In contrast, world number three Xander Schauffele suffered a rare setback as his streak of 72 consecutive made cuts — the fifth-longest in PGA Tour history — came to an end. Despite posting a second-round 69, Schauffele finished one stroke outside the cut line.
Rose will head into Saturday’s third round with a commanding advantage as he chases his 13th PGA Tour victory and a second Farmers Insurance Open crown, firmly positioning himself as the man to beat at Torrey Pines.
Sports
Ex-Sri Lanka Star Jayasuriya Named in USA Squad for T20 World Cup
Former Sri Lanka all-rounder Shehan Jayasuriya has been handed a surprise international return after being named in the United States squad for next month’s ICC Men’s T20 World Cup. Jayasuriya, 34, who previously represented Sri Lanka in 12 One-Day Internationals and 18 T20 Internationals, including appearances at the 2016 T20 World Cup, retired from international cricket in 2021 before relocating to the United States with his family.
Since moving, he has remained active in the game, featuring in Major League Cricket and other franchise competitions, and has now qualified to play for the USA under International Cricket Council eligibility regulations. His inclusion headlines a 15-man American squad that blends experience with emerging talent as the team prepares for the global tournament. The squad also features possible debutants, including Pakistan-born leg-spinner Mohammad Mohsin and all-rounder Shubham Ranjane, who is the grandson of former India international Vasant Ranjane.
The United States side will be captained by Monank Patel and includes established players such as fast bowler Ali Khan and left-arm seamer Saurabh Netravalkar, alongside a number of domestic prospects who have impressed in recent competitions.
The USA will face a tough test at the start of their campaign, having been drawn in Group A alongside defending champions India. The Americans open their tournament against India on February 7, a high-profile fixture in a competition co-hosted by India and Sri Lanka. The United States enjoyed a historic outing at the last edition of the tournament in 2024, where they advanced to the Super Eight stage as hosts, and will be aiming to build on that momentum on the world stage.
USA Squad: Monank Patel (captain), Jasdeep Singh, Andries Gous, Shehan Jayasuriya, Milind Kumar, Shayan Jahangir, Saiteja Mukkamala, Sanjay Krishnamurthi, Harmeet Singh, Nosthush Kenjige, Shadley van Schalkwyk, Saurabh Netravalkar, Ali Khan, Mohammad Mohsin, Shubham Ranjane.
-
Extra2 days agoUS Veteran, Walter Obi Urges Compassionate Leadership at Valentine’s Event in US
-
Diaspora1 day agoZenith Bank to Host Diaspora Engagement, Banking Services for Nigerians in Texas
-
Business1 week agoZenith Bank, Excel Global Media Discuss Strategic Partnership
-
Analysis2 days agoIs Nasir El-Rufai on the Peril? By Alabidun Shuaib AbdulRahman
-
News1 week agoTrade, Tension as Trump Threatens US–Canada Bridge Opening
-
News1 week agoSenegal Police Arrest 14 in Transnational Paedophile Ring Linked to France
