Connect with us

News

US, Iran Reach Framework Peace Deal, Set to Sign Accord Friday

Published

on

US, Iran Reach Framework Peace Deal, Set to Sign Accord Friday

 

The United States and Iran have agreed on a framework deal aimed at ending months of hostilities, with mediating country Pakistan announcing that the agreement will be formally signed on Friday in Switzerland.

 

The breakthrough has raised hopes of a lasting ceasefire in a conflict that has rattled the Middle East, disrupted global oil supplies, and heightened fears of a wider regional war.

 

US President Donald Trump confirmed the development in a post on Truth Social, saying the agreement includes the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world’s most strategic oil transit routes.

 

“Let the oil flow!” Trump declared, as global crude oil prices fell in response to the announcement amid expectations of improved energy supply and reduced geopolitical tensions.

 

Iran also confirmed the development, with the country’s Deputy Foreign Minister telling state television that a deal had been reached.

 

Iran’s top military command described the agreement as a victory for Tehran, suggesting the country had secured key concessions during negotiations.

 

Although the full text of the framework agreement has yet to be released, diplomatic sources indicate that its immediate priority is to extend the ceasefire that took effect on April 8.

 

Under the proposed arrangement, both sides would commit to an additional 60-day period without hostilities while pursuing broader negotiations aimed at securing a permanent settlement.

 

Pakistan, which played a central role in facilitating talks between Washington and Tehran, announced late Sunday that military operations would cease across all fronts, including in Lebanon, where tensions linked to the wider conflict have remained high.

 

The war began on February 28 following coordinated US and Israeli strikes on targets across Iran.

 

Tehran responded with attacks against Israel and several Gulf states allied with Washington, triggering fears of a prolonged regional confrontation.

 

Despite the optimism surrounding the agreement, Israel has yet to issue an official government response.

 

However, Israeli National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir strongly criticised the deal, distancing Israel from the framework and questioning its ability to guarantee the country’s security.

 

“We are not partners to this agreement that does not ensure our security, and it does not bind us in any way,” Ben-Gvir said.

 

The far-right minister argued that Israel should continue military pressure against Hezbollah and insisted that any lasting settlement must include the dismantling of the Lebanese armed group.

 

He further warned that any future drone or missile attacks launched from Lebanon against Israel would trigger retaliatory strikes by Israeli forces.

 

Ben-Gvir’s remarks highlight potential challenges facing the implementation of the agreement, particularly given Israel’s security concerns and ongoing tensions along its northern border with Lebanon.

 

Meanwhile, the European Union welcomed the breakthrough and urged all parties to fully implement the accord.

 

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen described the agreement as a significant opportunity to restore stability to the region.

 

“The priority now is its swift and full implementation by all parties,” she said.

 

Von der Leyen also called for the immediate reopening of the Strait of Hormuz, stressing that freedom of navigation remains essential for regional security and the global economy.

 

She expressed hope that the framework agreement would pave the way for broader discussions on peace and security across the Middle East.

 

The EU chief, however, cautioned that sustainable peace would remain elusive if violence continued elsewhere in the region.

 

“There can be no peace in the Middle East while Lebanon is in flames,” she said, urging all parties to respect Lebanon’s sovereignty and territorial integrity while pursuing a genuine ceasefire.

 

According to von der Leyen, the agreement is expected to feature prominently during discussions among world leaders attending the G7 summit in France this week.

 

The framework accord marks one of the most significant diplomatic breakthroughs in the Middle East in recent years although for now, the announcement has been greeted with cautious optimism by international markets and world leaders, who view the deal as a potential turning point in a conflict that threatened to destabilise the wider region and disrupt the global economy.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Irish Government Jet Takes Suspected Crime Boss Kinahan Back to Dublin

Published

on

Irish Government Jet Takes Suspected Crime Boss Kinahan Back to Dublin

 

The Irish government jet conveying suspected organised crime boss, Daniel Kinahan, has departed Dubai for Dublin, where he is expected to face a charge of directing a criminal organisation.

 

Kinahan, 49, was arrested in the United Arab Emirates in April following an extradition request from Ireland and is being returned to the country to face prosecution.

 

Flight tracking data showed that the government aircraft conveying him departed Dubai at 1:19pm local time on Sunday and was expected to arrive in Dublin before 7pm.

 

Upon arrival, Kinahan is expected to be formally charged before being taken into custody by members of the Irish police, known as gardaí, for an appearance before the Special Criminal Court.

 

The non-jury court, which comprises three judges, is expected to hear the case on Sunday evening amid a major security operation surrounding his return.

 

Irish authorities have deployed armed gardaí, members of the Irish Defence Forces and personnel from the Irish Prison Service for the operation.

 

The Irish Prison Service had also acquired a bulletproof and bombproof vehicle ahead of the extradition to facilitate the movement of prisoners considered to pose a high security risk.

 

Kinahan is expected to arrive at Casement Aerodrome in Baldonnel, Dublin, before being transferred to custody.

 

Irish broadcaster RTÉ News reported that security arrangements had been intensified ahead of his arrival, while facilities at the maximum-security Portlaoise Prison in County Laois had also been upgraded in anticipation of his detention on remand.

 

Kinahan has spent months challenging efforts to extradite him from the UAE to Ireland, but his appeals were unsuccessful.

 

His extradition has been welcomed by the governments of Ireland and the UAE, which have described the development as evidence of growing judicial cooperation between the two countries.

 

Irish Justice Minister, Jim O’Callaghan, described the extradition as a “landmark of judicial cooperation” between Ireland and the UAE.

 

O’Callaghan also commended the UAE judicial authorities for what he described as their professionalism, efficiency and diligence throughout the extradition proceedings.

 

His UAE counterpart, Abdullah bin Sultan bin Awad Al Nuaimi, said the case demonstrated the UAE’s commitment to international efforts to combat transnational organised crime.

 

The extradition was made possible under an existing agreement between Ireland and the UAE.

 

The agreement had previously been used to extradite Sean McGovern, described by authorities as a senior lieutenant in the Kinahan organised crime group. McGovern was sentenced to 24 years in prison in June after being convicted of directing the activities of a criminal organisation.

 

Kinahan cartel

 

Irish and international law enforcement agencies have for years linked Kinahan to the Kinahan organised crime group, which authorities accuse of involvement in international drug trafficking, firearms trafficking and gangland violence.

 

The UK National Crime Agency has previously alleged that the group was responsible for importing tonnes of drugs and firearms across the world and had links to more than a dozen gangland murders.

 

Former Garda Commissioner Drew Harris estimated that the organisation had generated more than €1bn globally through its criminal activities.

 

The United States Treasury Department in 2022 imposed sanctions on Kinahan and other members of his family after identifying them as leaders of what it described as the Kinahan organised crime cartel.

 

US authorities have also compared the organisation with major international criminal groups including Italy’s Camorra, Mexico’s Los Zetas and Japan’s Yakuza.

 

A reward of up to $5m was subsequently offered by the US authorities for information leading to the arrest or conviction of the three senior figures associated with the organisation: Daniel Kinahan, his father, Christopher Kinahan Snr, 65, and his brother, Christopher Kinahan Jnr.

 

Kinahan became a target in a long-running gangland feud in Ireland and survived an assassination attempt at Dublin’s Regency Hotel in 2016.

 

The attack, which occurred during a boxing weigh-in, intensified a feud between rival criminal groups that authorities have linked to 18 deaths.

 

Kinahan subsequently left Ireland and lived in Spain before relocating to Dubai.

 

Meanwhile, the NCA has previously prosecuted several alleged associates of the organisation in the United Kingdom.

 

In 2022, Thomas Kavanagh, whom the agency described as responsible for running the group’s criminal operations in Britain, was sentenced to 21 years in prison.

 

Gary Vickery and Daniel Canning were sentenced to 20 years and 19-and-a-half years respectively.

 

The NCA said evidence presented during the case showed that the men were involved in cocaine imports estimated at up to £23.4m and cannabis imports valued at about £6.4m.

 

Despite the allegations against him, Kinahan has denied being a crime boss.

 

His lawyer previously said Kinahan had no criminal record or convictions and maintained that allegations portraying him as a senior figure in organised crime were false and unsupported by evidence.

Continue Reading

News

Netanyahu Defies Trump?

Published

on

Netanyahu Defies Trump?

 

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has rejected United States President Donald Trump’s 15-point Gaza peace plan, insisting that Israeli forces will not withdraw from the territory until Hamas is “genuinely” disarmed.

 

Netanyahu made the position known on Sunday during an Israeli cabinet meeting, dealing another setback to Trump’s efforts to secure a lasting ceasefire and political settlement in Gaza.

 

“Israel rejects the 15-point document,” Netanyahu said, adding that the Israeli military “will not carry out any withdrawal until Hamas is genuinely disarmed and will continue to thwart threats against our forces and our citizens.”

 

The Israeli leader’s declaration puts him at odds with the framework announced by Trump, which envisages the disarmament of Hamas and other armed groups, an Israeli military withdrawal and the reconstruction of the war-ravaged Gaza Strip.

 

Trump’s Board of Peace said last month that an agreement had been reached for the “complete disarmament” of Hamas and other armed groups operating in Gaza.

 

However, Hamas has maintained that surrendering its heavy weapons must be tied to an Israeli withdrawal and an end to what it described as “all forms of aggression” against Palestinians in the territory.

 

Israel has continued military strikes in Gaza despite agreeing to an initial ceasefire in October last year, with the dispute over disarmament and Israeli troop withdrawals emerging as one of the biggest obstacles to the implementation of the proposed peace framework.

 

Netanyahu said Israel would not accept what he described as a “fictitious disarmament” of Hamas, stressing that the group must be genuinely stripped of its military capability before Israeli forces leave.

 

He disclosed that discussions were ongoing between his government and American officials over the way forward, but indicated that significant differences remained.

 

“They have ideas; some of them are acceptable to us and some are not, and we know how to stand our ground on these matters,” Netanyahu said.

 

The Israeli prime minister’s rejection is likely to further complicate Trump’s attempt to implement the Gaza roadmap, which was unveiled in September last year as a comprehensive framework for ending the conflict and establishing a pathway towards reconstruction and long-term security.

 

Under the proposal, a Board of Peace would oversee implementation of the agreement, while Hamas and other armed groups would be disarmed, Israeli forces would withdraw and Gaza would undergo extensive reconstruction.

 

The latest development also comes at a politically sensitive period for Netanyahu, with Israeli elections approaching and pressure mounting from members of his far-right governing coalition to abandon or renegotiate the Gaza plan.

 

National Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir has been among the most vocal critics, dismissing the draft agreement as “not acceptable” and urging Netanyahu to take a harder position.

 

Netanyahu’s insistence that Hamas must first be disarmed before any Israeli military withdrawal therefore reflects both the security demands of his government and the political pressure within his coalition.

 

The disagreement could place further strain on relations between Netanyahu and Trump, who has presented the Gaza initiative as a major diplomatic achievement and a potential pathway to lasting peace in the Middle East.

Continue Reading

News

Spain battles political fallout as 60,000 migrants overwhelm Ceuta border

Published

on

Spain battles political fallout as 60,000 migrants overwhelm Ceuta border

 

Spain is facing mounting political pressure after an estimated 60,000 migrants crossed from Morocco into the Spanish enclave of Ceuta within 24 hours, triggering one of the country’s worst border crises in recent years.

 

The unprecedented influx overwhelmed local infrastructure, forced businesses to shut down and disrupted daily life in the North African territory.

 

Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez condemned the mass crossing, describing it as “a violation of Spain’s territorial integrity,” as security forces reinforced the border.

 

Residents expressed frustration over the scale of the influx, saying the territory lacked the resources to cope with such a large number of arrivals.

 

Although thousands of migrants have reportedly returned voluntarily to Morocco, officials said shortages of food and essential supplies continued to affect the enclave.

 

The crisis has also reignited political debate across Europe over border security and migration policy, with some politicians calling for tougher controls along the European Union’s external frontiers.

 

The humanitarian toll also continued to rise, with officials confirming that at least 57 people died during the border surge.

 

Many of those who crossed into Ceuta said they were fleeing unemployment and economic hardship in Morocco in search of better opportunities in Europe.

Continue Reading

Trending