Business
Businesses Reel From Massive IT Outage As Experts Warn Of Looming Second Wave Of Disruption
A widespread IT outage has brought businesses to a grinding halt, leaving many scrambling to recover from the devastating disruption. As companies slowly regain their footing,
experts warn of a potential second wave of disruption, heightening concerns about the vulnerability of digital systems.
The outage, which began earlier this week, has affected businesses across various sectors, including finance, healthcare, and retail. Reports indicate that the disruption was caused
by a software glitch, which spread rapidly through interconnected systems.
While some businesses have managed to restore their operations, many others remain offline, struggling to recover lost data and regain customer trust. The economic impact of the outage is still
being assessed, but experts predict significant losses for affected companies.
As businesses race to get back online, cybersecurity experts warn of a potential second wave of disruption. “This outage has exposed vulnerabilities in our digital infrastructure, making
us more susceptible to cyber attacks,” said Dr. Jane Mwangi, a cybersecurity expert at the University of Nairobi. “We urge businesses to take immediate action to bolster their defenses and prevent further
disruption.”
The warning comes as reports emerge of criminals seeking to exploit the outage for financial gain. “We’ve seen an uptick in phishing scams and ransomware attacks, targeting businesses affected by the outage,” said Detective Jameson Mwangi, a cybercrime investigator with the Kenyan Police Service. “We urge businesses to be vigilant and report any suspicious activity to the authorities.”
As the situation continues to unfold, businesses are advised to take proactive measures to protect themselves from further disruption. This includes conducting thorough system audits, implementing robust cybersecurity measures, and engaging with customers to rebuild trust.
In the meantime, experts are calling for a comprehensive review of digital infrastructure to prevent similar outages in the future. “This incident highlights the need for a more resilient and secure digital framework,” said Dr. Mwangi. “We must learn from this experience and work towards building a more robust digital ecosystem.”
Diapora Watch will continue to monitor the situation and provide updates as more information becomes available.
Business
US Government Shutdown Grounds Flights as Air Travel Faces “Trickle” Threat
US Government Shutdown Grounds Flights as Air Travel Faces “Trickle” Threat
Air travellers in the United States continue to face severe disruptions for a third consecutive day as the federal government shutdown drags on, with Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy warning that flights could be reduced to a “trickle” if lawmakers fail to resolve the funding impasse.
According to flight tracker FlightAware, approximately 1,400 flights to, from, or within the US were cancelled on Sunday morning, while 2,700 others were delayed.
Newark, New Jersey, reported the longest delays, averaging over two hours.
The shutdown, now in its 40th day, has left hundreds of thousands of federal workers unpaid and disrupted vital services, including air traffic management.
Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) officials had announced last week that air travel capacity would be cut by up to 6% this weekend and 10% next weekend at 40 of the nation’s busiest airports.
While international flights are officially exempt, airlines may still cancel some of these services.
The root of the crisis lies in a political deadlock between Republicans and Democrats over government funding.
Duffy cautioned on CNN that the situation could escalate further, particularly as Americans prepare for the Thanksgiving holiday.
“You’re going to see air travel be reduced to a trickle,” Duffy said.
“Many of them are not going to be able to get on an airplane because there are not going to be that many flights that fly if this thing doesn’t open back up.”
The shutdown has left air traffic controllers fatigued, with many refusing to report to duty due to unpaid wages, forcing the FAA to reduce flight allowances.
While Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth offered military controllers as a stopgap, Duffy rejected the proposal, citing civilian certification requirements.
Political tensions remain high, with each party blaming the other for the growing chaos.
Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer accused Republicans of “playing games with people’s livelihoods,” while the White House claimed Democrats are “inflicting their man-made catastrophe on Americans just trying to make life-saving medical trips or get home for Thanksgiving.”
Democrats insist on including funding for health insurance subsidies, a condition that Republicans have resisted, preferring a clean government funding bill.
Meanwhile, President Donald Trump suggested over the weekend that money be sent directly to Americans to purchase health insurance instead of going through insurance companies.
Efforts to reach a compromise appeared to gain some traction, with the Senate convening in a rare weekend session.
Republican lawmakers were reportedly working on a compromise package that could end the stalemate, with a possible vote to advance legislation expected.
Business
U.S. Air Travel in Crisis as 13,000 Air Traffic Controllers Work Without Pay Amid Government Shutdown
U.S. Air Travel in Crisis as 13,000 Air Traffic Controllers Work Without Pay Amid Government Shutdown
The United States is facing a deepening aviation crisis as nearly 13,000 air traffic controllers continue to work without pay for over a month due to the prolonged federal government shutdown, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has said.
The shutdown, now entering its second month, has caused severe disruptions across the country’s air transport system, grounding hundreds of flights and leaving thousands of passengers stranded.
On Sunday morning, the FAA issued a ground stop at Newark Liberty International Airport, one of New York’s busiest air hubs, with average delays stretching beyond three hours.
Officials warned that disruptions could last into Monday as staff shortages cripple flight operations.
At least half of America’s 30 major airports are grappling with critical manpower shortages. The U.S. Transport Secretary, Sean Duffy, confirmed that more flight cancellations are imminent to “ensure public safety.”
“Flights will be cancelled across national airspace to make sure people are safe,” Duffy said during a television interview on Sunday.
Air traffic controllers, like other essential federal workers, have been compelled to remain on duty despite not receiving pay.
They are among thousands affected by the funding deadlock between the Republican-controlled Congress and the Democratic-led Senate.
The FAA, in a statement, appealed to lawmakers to end the shutdown and allow workers to receive their wages, warning that the current situation could trigger further operational breakdowns.
“The shortage means we have had to reduce the flow of air traffic to maintain safety,” the agency stated. “This may result in delays or cancellations.”
According to flight-tracking platform FlightAware, nearly 4,500 flights across the U.S. were delayed and more than 500 cancelled on Saturday alone.
In New York, the nation’s busiest airspace, about 80% of air traffic controllers were absent heading into the weekend, the FAA said.
The resulting gridlock has left airlines scrambling to manage schedules and passengers stranded in terminals.
Secretary Duffy acknowledged the growing strain on aviation workers, noting that many controllers were under “a great deal of stress” as they try to balance their duties and family responsibilities without pay.
“They don’t make a lot of money,” he said.
“Some of them are the only breadwinners in their households. They’re being forced to choose between going to work without a paycheque or finding side jobs just to put food on the table.”
The shutdown stems from a budget impasse in Washington.
A Republican-backed funding bill has failed more than a dozen times to pass the Senate, while Democrats have insisted on conditions to protect social welfare programmes.
They are demanding an extension of health insurance tax credits and a reversal of President Donald Trump’s cuts to Medicaid, which supports millions of low-income, elderly, and disabled Americans.
Meanwhile, Trump has accused Democrats of “holding the government hostage for political gain,” while opposition lawmakers blame the administration’s intransigence for the crisis affecting federal workers and public services.
As the shutdown drags on, pressure is mounting on both sides of the political divide to reach a compromise.
Labour unions and aviation experts have warned that prolonged staff shortages could compromise safety and lead to a cascading effect on the global aviation network.
For now, the FAA insists it will maintain operations under reduced capacity — but warns that the situation is unsustainable.
“The safety of the travelling public remains our top priority,” the agency said. “But our workforce must be supported. America’s airspace cannot run on goodwill forever.”
Business
Gold Rush Chaos Rocks Northwestern Zambia
Gold Rush Chaos Rocks Northwestern Zambia
A sudden gold rush in northwestern Zambia has degenerated into violence as thousands of fortune seekers stormed the region following viral social media claims that the precious metal could be easily found beneath the surface.
The unverified reports, which spread rapidly earlier this year, triggered a massive influx of people from different parts of Zambia and neighbouring countries, overwhelming local communities and sparking tension with security forces.
According to reports, hundreds of police officers deployed to the area to curb illegal mining activities were confronted by hostile miners.
Some officers were also accused of collecting bribes from the illegal operators, further fuelling public outrage and mistrust.
In a swift move to restore order, a delegation of senior government officials, including the Minister of Defence and the Minister of Home Affairs, visited the affected communities to assess the situation and engage with local leaders.
A government statement described the unrest as “unacceptable” and warned against spreading false information capable of inciting violence.
Authorities also assured residents of their commitment to ensuring peace and protecting legitimate mining operations.
Officials said the chaos was largely driven by misleading social media posts suggesting that gold deposits were easily accessible in the area.
The posts prompted thousands to abandon their livelihoods in search of quick wealth, leading to illegal mining and lawlessness.
Experts have warned that such misinformation can have devastating consequences, including environmental destruction and loss of lives.
They also noted that the growing trend of unregulated artisanal mining across Zambia poses a serious challenge to sustainable development.
Zambia has witnessed several gold rush incidents in recent years, driven by rising global demand for the commodity and limited economic opportunities in rural communities.
Analysts say the latest unrest reiterates the need for the government to strengthen control over the mining sector, improve public awareness, and create safer opportunities for artisanal miners within a regulated framework.
Authorities have since intensified security presence in the region and appealed to residents to cooperate with law enforcement agencies to restore peace and normalcy.
-
News3 days agoTrump, Mamdani Strike Conciliatory Tone After ‘Productive’ White House Meeting
-
News3 days ago‘Tremendous Progress’ in Ukraine Peace Talks as Trump Slams Kyiv Over ‘Ungratefulness’
-
News3 days agoKwara Church Attack: Police, DSS Arrest Suspected Bandits’ Armourer, Logistics Suppliers
-
News3 days agoNigeria Reels as 315 Pupils Abducted in Niger, 50 Escape
-
News3 days ago‘Genocide in Nigeria!’ Trump Roars, Threatens Action
-
Analysis5 days agoOur Schoolgirls Again? By Alabidun Shuaib AbdulRahman
