News
Trump Returns from China Visit With No Breakthrough on Iran as Diplomacy Stalls
Trump Returns from China Visit With No Breakthrough on Iran as Diplomacy Stalls
United States President Donald Trump has returned from a high-stakes diplomatic trip to China without securing any breakthrough on the escalating tensions with Iran, despite hopes within the White House that Beijing’s longstanding ties with Tehran could help shift the stalemate.
Officials inside the administration had viewed the visit as a potential opening to reset strained negotiations, particularly over Iran’s nuclear programme and the continued disruption of global energy routes.
However, Trump landed back in Washington on Friday with no new progress to announce.
Speaking to reporters aboard Air Force One, the president said Chinese leader Xi Jinping expressed support for reopening the Strait of Hormuz and reiterated opposition to Iran acquiring nuclear weapons.
But analysts noted that those positions are not new, as Beijing has made similar statements publicly in the past.
“He would like to see it end. He would like to help. If he wants to help, that’s great. But we don’t need help,” Trump told Fox News’ Bret Baier in an interview aired Friday.
Inside the administration, attention has now shifted to the next phase of U.S. strategy, with officials divided over whether to intensify military pressure or continue diplomatic engagement with Tehran.
The widening tensions come as the conflict between Washington and Tehran stretches beyond the six-week timeline initially projected by the White House, raising concerns over economic fallout, including rising fuel prices and inflationary pressure in the United States.
Trump, posting on Truth Social while in China, signalled that military operations remain on the table, writing: “To be continued!”
Iran, meanwhile, has shown little indication of softening its position, maintaining its stance despite renewed diplomatic efforts.
The impasse has further deepened divisions within Trump’s foreign policy team.
Sources familiar with internal discussions say some officials at the Pentagon are pushing for a more aggressive posture, including targeted strikes aimed at forcing concessions from Tehran.
Others argue that sustained diplomatic pressure remains the better option.
Vice President JD Vance struck an optimistic tone earlier in the week, saying progress was still possible following consultations with key advisers and regional contacts involved in the negotiations.
“The president has set us off on the diplomatic pathway for now, and that’s what I’m focused on,” Vance said.
However, Iran’s continued posture has raised doubts within Washington about the effectiveness of ongoing talks, with officials acknowledging that Tehran has not altered its core demands since a ceasefire announced in April.
According to analysts, the prolonged closure of key energy routes, particularly the Strait of Hormuz, has contributed to a surge in global oil prices, further complicating the economic outlook for the United States.
Former NATO Ambassador Ivo Daalder described the situation as increasingly difficult for Washington.
“He’s tried bluster, that didn’t work. He’s tried negotiations, that hasn’t worked,” Daalder said. “He’s trying to find a way to unstick his stuckness.”
Economic pressures are also mounting domestically, with U.S. gasoline prices climbing above $4.50 per gallon on average, while inflation has begun to outpace wage growth for the first time in three years.
Although the stock market has remained relatively stable, business leaders are reportedly urging the White House to de-escalate tensions and secure a swift resolution to the crisis.
One Trump adviser said corporate executives had delivered a blunt message: “They just want the war over… just hurry up.”
Despite the growing concerns, Trump has downplayed the economic impact, insisting that his focus remains on preventing Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons.
“I don’t think about Americans’ financial situation. I don’t think about anybody. I think about one thing: We cannot let Iran have a nuclear weapon,” the president said earlier this week.
News
CARICOM Declares Bahamas Poll Credible, Peaceful
CARICOM Declares Bahamas Poll Credible, Peaceful
A nine-member CARICOM Election Observation Mission has declared that the 2026 general elections in The Bahamas reflected the will of the Bahamian people, following what it described as a peaceful and orderly voting process across the country.
The mission, which was deployed by the Caribbean Community at the invitation of Governor-General Cynthia Pratt, observed the May 12 elections and monitored polling activities on the islands of New Providence and Grand Bahama.
The observers were drawn from nine CARICOM member states, including Antigua and Barbuda, Barbados, Dominica, Grenada, Haiti, Jamaica, Saint Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, and Suriname.
In its interim statement issued on Wednesday, the mission said it held extensive consultations with political leaders, electoral officials, civil society groups, youth organisations and members of the media ahead of the elections.
Among those engaged were Prime Minister Philip Davis, Opposition Leader Michael Pintard, Coalition of Independents leader Lincoln Bain and former Prime Minister Hubert Minnis.
The observers disclosed that stakeholders raised concerns over the integrity of the voters’ register, preparedness of the Parliamentary Registration Department, alleged issuance of fraudulent voter identification cards and passports, campaign financing issues, inadequate voter education and concerns about the independence of electoral institutions.
Despite the concerns raised before the polls, the mission stated that election day procedures were generally conducted professionally, with adequate police presence and timely delivery of election materials across most polling divisions.
It noted that polling stations opened largely on schedule, while party agents from various political parties were present during the exercise.
According to the mission, observers monitored activities in 22 constituencies in New Providence and all five constituencies in Grand Bahama, covering a total of 317 polling divisions.
It said election workers appeared adequately trained and courteous, while elderly and physically challenged voters received necessary assistance throughout the voting process.
The mission further noted that although there were slight inconsistencies in the application of some voting procedures, such incidents were limited and did not disrupt the electoral process.
It added that voter turnout remained steady during the morning and evening periods, despite a noticeable reduction in voter traffic during midday.
On the counting process, the observers stated that ballot boxes were opened in the presence of polling agents, election officials and observers, while results were announced publicly in line with established electoral procedures.
The mission also confirmed that the sealing of ballot boxes and transfer of electoral materials were conducted transparently and professionally.
Chief of Mission, Herman St. Helen, commended the Parliamentary Registration Department, security agencies, party agents and the people of The Bahamas for maintaining peace and order throughout the elections. He stated that the mission considered the outcome of the 2026 polls to be consistent with the democratic will of the Bahamian electorate, adding that a final report containing the mission’s recommendations would be submitted to the CARICOM Secretary-General in the coming weeks.
Business
Nigeria Grants Rwandans 30-Day Visa-Free Entry to Boost African Integration, Trade
Nigeria Grants Rwandans 30-Day Visa-Free Entry to Boost African Integration, Trade
The Nigerian Government has commenced a 30-day visa-free entry policy for Rwandan nationals, in a move aimed at strengthening continental integration, boosting trade, and enhancing mobility under the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA) framework.
The policy, which takes immediate effect across all entry points, follows an announcement by President Bola Tinubu at the Africa CEO Forum held in Kigali, Rwanda, where he reiterated Nigeria’s commitment to easing movement across African borders.
In a statement issued on Thursday, the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) confirmed that operational arrangements had been concluded for the full implementation of the directive at airports, land borders and seaports nationwide.
Under the new arrangement, Rwandan citizens will be allowed to enter Nigeria without a visa for up to 30 days for legitimate purposes, including tourism, business engagements and official visits.
The Service, however, clarified that visitors wishing to stay beyond the approved period must obtain the appropriate visa through Nigerian diplomatic missions abroad or apply via the Nigeria e-Visa platform.
“Under this bilateral arrangement, Rwandan nationals may enter Nigeria without a visa for a period not exceeding thirty (30) days for lawful purposes, including tourism, business, and official engagements,” the statement read.
The NIS said the policy reflects the strengthening diplomatic relationship between Nigeria and Rwanda, while also aligning with broader African efforts to promote free movement of persons, trade facilitation and economic cooperation across the continent.
It added that the initiative underscores Nigeria’s commitment to regional integration under the AfCFTA agreement, which seeks to create a single African market for goods and services.
“The Nigeria Immigration Service notes that this initiative reflects the strong diplomatic and bilateral relations between the Federal Republic of Nigeria and the Republic of Rwanda, while promoting intra-African mobility, tourism, and economic cooperation in line with continental aspirations,” the agency said.
The Service reaffirmed its readiness to ensure safe, orderly and lawful migration in line with international standards and the Federal Government’s Renewed Hope Agenda.
The visa waiver comes amid growing continental momentum toward easing intra-African travel barriers, as several countries push policies aimed at improving economic linkages, tourism flows and regional investment opportunities.
Diplomacy
Ghana to Evacuate 300 Citizens from South Africa Over Xenophobia
Ghana to Evacuate 300 Citizens from South Africa Over Xenophobia
The Government of Ghana has announced plans to evacuate about 300 of its nationals from South Africa following renewed protests and rising tensions linked to alleged xenophobic attacks targeting foreign nationals.
Ghana’s Foreign Minister, Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa, disclosed this in a post on X on Tuesday, saying President John Mahama had granted approval for the “immediate evacuation” of affected citizens.
According to him, the evacuation follows growing concerns over the safety of Ghanaians residing in South Africa amid what he described as “distressed” reports from nationals who had already registered at the Ghanaian Embassy in Pretoria for assistance.
“The president has approved the immediate evacuation of our distressed citizens following the latest wave of xenophobic attacks and rising insecurity concerns,” he stated.
The development comes amid fresh protests in several South African cities, including Durban, where demonstrators have called for stricter immigration controls and the deportation of undocumented foreign nationals.
Protesters argue that illegal immigration is contributing to unemployment, pressure on housing, and rising crime rates.
However, South African authorities have denied reports of widespread attacks on foreigners, insisting that some of the viral videos circulating on social media were fabricated.
Last week, officials in Pretoria dismissed claims of targeted violence, describing the footage as misleading and unverified.
On Monday, the South African President, Cyril Ramaphosa, acknowledged the recent unrest but said the incidents did not reflect government policy.
He described them as “isolated acts of criminality” and reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to managing migration issues.
“We will regulate migration, secure our borders and enforce our laws,” Ramaphosa said, while urging calm and restraint across affected communities.
In response to the escalating tension, Ghana’s embassy in Pretoria issued a fresh advisory on Tuesday, urging its citizens to exercise maximum caution, avoid public gatherings, and temporarily close businesses where necessary, particularly in Durban ahead of planned demonstrations.
The embassy also confirmed that it was coordinating with local authorities to ensure the safe movement of affected nationals.
The situation has triggered wider diplomatic concern across the continent, with several African countries, including Kenya, Malawi, Lesotho, and Zimbabwe, issuing travel and safety advisories to their citizens in South Africa.
In recent days, both Ghana and Nigeria have summoned South African envoys over reported harassment and alleged mistreatment of foreign nationals.
Ghana has also escalated the matter to the African Union, calling for urgent deliberations, warning that the situation poses a “serious risk to the safety and wellbeing of Africans in South Africa.”
South African authorities, however, have maintained that the government has “nothing to hide,” dismissing allegations of coordinated attacks and blaming misinformation for inflaming tensions.
The government has repeatedly condemned what it described as the spread of “fake videos and images” portraying violence against foreigners.
South Africa remains one of the continent’s largest migrant destinations, hosting more than three million foreign nationals, about five per cent of its population though officials believe the actual number of undocumented migrants may be significantly higher.
Xenophobic violence and anti-immigrant sentiment have remained recurring flashpoints in the country over the years, occasionally erupting into deadly attacks that have drawn widespread condemnation across Africa and beyond.
-
Extra7 days agoEzeibe–Lassina Wedding Draws Top African Dignitaries To Marrakech, Morocco
-
Analysis1 week agoNDC As A New Bride, by Alabidun Shuaib AbdulRahman
-
News7 days agoTrump Rejects Iran’s Peace Response, Says Proposal ‘Totally Unacceptable’
-
Business7 days agoDangote Unveils Plan for 20,000MW Power Project
-
Analysis7 days agoBianca Ojukwu and Nigeria’s Firm Stand Against South African Xenophobia
-
Business7 days agoTrump Threatens Higher Tariffs on EU if Trade Talks Fail
