News
UK Bans Overseas Recruitment for Social Care in Sweeping Immigration Reform
UK Bans Overseas Recruitment for Social Care in Sweeping Immigration Reform
The UK government has announced an immediate ban on international recruitment for social care roles, part of a sweeping crackdown on what it calls “low-skilled migration.” In a firm declaration, the government stated that “skilled must mean skilled.”
The new measures, outlined in an 82-page Immigration White Paper released Monday, represent the most significant overhaul of Britain’s immigration system in decades.
“We will close social care visas to new overseas applications,” the Home Office announced.
“This route has been exploited and overused in ways that damage public confidence and do not support long-term workforce sustainability.”
According to a statement published on the UK Home Office website, the changes are aimed at overhauling the current system and restoring public trust.
Titled Restoring Control over the Immigration System, the paper sets out a strategy to reduce net migration, which the government says has quadrupled between 2019 and 2023.
—
Immediate End to Care Worker Visas
The ban on new overseas care worker visa applications is effective immediately. Current visa holders already in the UK will be allowed to extend or switch their visas until 2028, during which time the government plans to implement a new domestic workforce strategy.
“The health and social care sector must move away from reliance on low-wage overseas recruitment,” the document stated.
“We will instead support long-term workforce planning and training within the UK.”
—
Redefining ‘Skilled Work’
Central to the reform is a stricter interpretation of what constitutes skilled employment under the points-based immigration system. The government will increase requirements for salary, qualifications, and English proficiency, and eliminate what it describes as “loopholes for low-skilled migration under a skilled label.”
“We are tightening the definition of skilled work — skilled must mean skilled,” the White Paper said. “Work that does not meet the bar will not be eligible for a visa, no matter the sector.”
The paper also confirms the abolition of the Immigration Salary List, which previously allowed employers to recruit below the standard salary threshold.
“We will remove the Immigration Salary List to prevent undercutting of UK wages and to ensure that migration supports, rather than suppresses, the labour market,” it added.
—
Employers Expected to Prioritize UK Workers
Employers will now be required to prove they have attempted to hire domestically before seeking foreign workers—particularly in industries that have historically depended on overseas labour.
“No employer should be allowed to default to migration. We are rebalancing the system to reward training, not reliance,” the Home Office said.
Home Secretary Yvette Cooper described the measures as “a bold, necessary reset.”
“We are acting to bring numbers down and restore control. We must rebuild public trust and end the perception that immigration is a substitute for skills planning,” Cooper said.
The White Paper closes with an unequivocal message: “We will not allow temporary migration routes to become permanent. Our reforms will restore integrity and ensure immigration works for Britain — not the other way round.”
Diaspora
Diaspora Watch – Vol. 92
The management of Diaspora Watch Newspaper proudly announces the release of the 92nd edition of the newspaper, a compelling and globally engaging publication that captures the defining political, diplomatic, economic, cultural, and entertainment developments shaping conversations across continents.
This latest edition presents readers with an extraordinary blend of international diplomacy, economic transformation, royal engagements, security concerns, African excellence, and high society glamour, reaffirming Diaspora Watch Newspaper’s commitment to credible journalism, balanced reporting, and insightful global storytelling.
Diaspora Watch FREE Digital View: https://diasporawatch.com/3d-flip-book/diaspora-watch-vol-92/
On Demand Print: https://www.magcloud.com/browse/issue/3327462?__r=1069759
SUBSCRIBE TO DIASPORA WATCH NOW ON THE LINK BELOW!!!
https://diasporawatch.com/subscribe-to-diaspora-watch-newspaper/
Leading the headlines is the intensifying conflict between the United States and Iran as both nations exchange threats despite ongoing ceasefire negotiations, alongside US President Donald Trump rejecting Iran’s peace response and describing the proposal as “totally unacceptable.” The edition also offers deeper insight into the geopolitical implications of the crisis and its potential impact on global stability.
In a celebration of African prestige and international elegance, this edition extensively covers the grand wedding ceremony of Munachi “Muna” Ezeibe and Cherina Zerbo Lassina in Marrakech, Morocco, an event that attracted top African dignitaries, diplomats, business leaders, and influential personalities from across the continent.
Readers will also find exclusive reports on Aliko Dangote’s ambitious 20,000MW power project initiative, a development expected to significantly reshape Africa’s energy landscape and industrial future. Equally noteworthy is the report on Angola’s Cabinda Refinery commencing fuel exports, marking a major milestone in Africa’s refining capacity and economic independence.
The edition further highlights significant global diplomatic and societal developments, including King Charles III hosting the first Buckingham Palace Garden Party of 2026, the accreditation of a new United Kingdom ambassador by CARICOM, and concerns raised by China’s spy agency over the growing “lying flat” culture among young people.
On the back page, readers are treated to dazzling coverage of the 2026 edition of the Africa Magic Viewers’ Choice Awards 2026, where celebrities transformed Lagos into a spectacular runway of glamour, fashion, and unforgettable red-carpet moments.
As always, Diaspora Watch Newspaper remains steadfast in its mission to inform, educate, connect, and amplify global African perspectives through responsible journalism and compelling narratives.
The 92nd edition is now available for readers, stakeholders, institutions, and members of the global diaspora community.
News
CARICOM Accredits New UK Ambassador
CARICOM Accredits New UK Ambassador
The Secretary-General of the Caribbean Community, Carla Barnett, has accredited the new United Kingdom Ambassador to CARICOM, Joseph Guy Fisher.
Barnett performed the accreditation during a ceremony held on May 4 at the CARICOM Secretariat Headquarters in Georgetown.
Speaking at the event, Barnett described the United Kingdom as a vital partner to CARICOM amid evolving global geopolitical challenges.
She identified key areas of collaboration between CARICOM and the UK to include efforts to combat illicit trade in small arms and light weapons, maritime security and climate change.
The Secretary-General also referenced discussions held during the recently concluded 12th UK-Caribbean Forum in London, where both sides explored issues surrounding economic resilience, renewable energy and citizen security.
According to her, the forum also adopted a plan of action aimed at ensuring that commitments reached under the various areas of cooperation produce tangible benefits for citizens of the Caribbean Community.
Barnett used the occasion to seek continued British support for Haiti amid its security and humanitarian crisis.
“The scale of the insecurity and humanitarian challenges requires the sustained commitment of our international partners,” she said.
She further stated that CARICOM welcomed the growing international consensus on reparatory justice and looked forward to further discussions during the upcoming Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting scheduled to hold in Antigua and Barbuda later this year.
In his remarks, Fisher described CARICOM as an important regional organisation and a longstanding partner of the UK.
He expressed optimism about strengthening ties between both sides through shared history, people-to-people connections and commitment to regional cooperation and multilateral engagement.
The envoy also noted existing UK partnerships with CARICOM in areas such as climate adaptation, resilience, sustainable development and regional coordination during climate-related emergencies.
Fisher said his tenure would focus on listening and learning while ensuring that UK-CARICOM cooperation remains aligned with the priorities of the Caribbean Community and built on mutual respect and trust.
Business
Trump Threatens Higher Tariffs on EU if Trade Talks Fail
Trump Threatens Higher Tariffs on EU if Trade Talks Fail
United States President, Donald Trump, has threatened to impose “much higher” tariffs on the European Union if the bloc fails to remove its levies on American goods before July 4, escalating fresh tensions in transatlantic trade relations.
Trump issued the warning after a phone conversation with European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen, stating that the EU must agree to zero tariffs on U.S. exports or face steep economic consequences.
“I agreed to give her until our Country’s 250th Birthday or, unfortunately, their Tariffs would immediately jump to much higher levels,” Trump said.
In response, von der Leyen said the European Union was making “good progress towards tariff reduction” ahead of the deadline, while reaffirming commitment to ongoing negotiations between both sides.
The tariff dispute comes amid renewed uncertainty over a trade agreement reached last year between Washington and Brussels, which initially proposed a 15 per cent tariff on EU exports to the United States, while Trump had earlier pushed for a 30 per cent levy on European goods.
Although the deal received conditional backing from the European Parliament in March, lawmakers inserted safeguards requiring assurances that the United States would also honour its commitments, particularly concerning steel and aluminium exemptions.
Under the proposed arrangement, EU legislators insisted they would only accept zero tariffs on U.S. goods if European exports made with steel and aluminium were excluded from Trump’s global 50 per cent tariffs on the metals.
Despite parliamentary progress, final approval still depends on agreement from all 27 EU member states, while further negotiations are expected to continue later this month in Strasbourg.
Ahead of Trump’s latest comments, European Parliament chief negotiator Bernd Lange said discussions were progressing but warned that “there is still some way to go.”
However, tensions were further complicated hours after Trump’s threat when a United States trade court ruled that his latest 10 per cent global tariffs were not justified under U.S. trade law, potentially opening the door to further legal challenges.
The court ruling, though limited in scope, questioned the legal basis used by the Trump administration under Section 122 of the 1974 Trade Act, which allows temporary tariffs to address balance of payments deficits.
Trump had previously introduced the sweeping 10 per cent levy in February, following earlier legal and political disputes over his so-called “freedom day” tariffs.
While the court decision does not immediately block the tariffs nationwide, it applies to import duties involving two companies and could encourage wider legal opposition.
With negotiations ongoing and legal uncertainty mounting, analysts say the dispute signals a renewed phase of economic friction between the United States and the European Union.
-
Extra7 days agoEzeibe–Lassina Wedding Draws Top African Dignitaries To Marrakech, Morocco
-
Analysis1 week agoNDC As A New Bride, by Alabidun Shuaib AbdulRahman
-
News7 days agoTrump Rejects Iran’s Peace Response, Says Proposal ‘Totally Unacceptable’
-
Business6 days agoDangote Unveils Plan for 20,000MW Power Project
-
Analysis7 days agoBianca Ojukwu and Nigeria’s Firm Stand Against South African Xenophobia
-
Business6 days agoTrump Threatens Higher Tariffs on EU if Trade Talks Fail
