Connect with us

Diplomacy

CARICOM Raises Alarm Over Political Crisis in Haiti

Published

on

CARICOM Raises Alarm Over Political Crisis in Haiti

 

The Caribbean Community (CARICOM) has expressed deep concern over the escalating internal crisis within Haiti’s transitional government, warning that the unfolding turmoil threatens an already fragile governance process at a critical moment for the country.

 

In a statement, CARICOM said the instability at the highest levels of the Haitian state comes at a time when calm decision-making and a clear focus on the welfare of the Haitian people are urgently required from members of the executive.

 

The regional bloc recalled that, under the founding decree of the Transitional Presidential Council and the Political Accord of April 3, 2024, the mandate of the Council is due to expire on February 7, 2026.

 

CARICOM noted that the current deadlock within the Transitional Presidential Council, following unsuccessful attempts by some of its members to remove the Prime Minister, has further complicated an already difficult transition process.

 

The organisation lamented that while political actors remain locked in disputes, ordinary Haitians continue to endure widespread violence, insecurity and severe deprivation.

 

“This situation is unacceptable,” CARICOM said, stressing the need for all stakeholders to set aside their differences and urgently reach a consensus.

 

CARICOM added that its Eminent Persons Group remains available to assist Haitian stakeholders in finding common ground among the various proposals currently on the table.

 

The regional body said its overriding hope is for an end to the ongoing fragmentation, which it warned only serves the interests of armed gangs, and for the restoration of political stability, security and peace in Haiti.

 

According to CARICOM, achieving stability would pave the way for credible elections and allow renewed attention to be given to economic growth and sustainable development for the benefit of the Haitian people.

 

The Community called on all Haitian stakeholders to place the future of their country above personal or political interests and to act with urgency, responsibility and patriotism in the interest of national stability.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Business

Nigeria Grants Rwandans 30-Day Visa-Free Entry to Boost African Integration, Trade

Published

on

Politics

Nigeria Grants Rwandans 30-Day Visa-Free Entry to Boost African Integration, Trade

 

The Nigerian Government has commenced a 30-day visa-free entry policy for Rwandan nationals, in a move aimed at strengthening continental integration, boosting trade, and enhancing mobility under the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA) framework.

 

The policy, which takes immediate effect across all entry points, follows an announcement by President Bola Tinubu at the Africa CEO Forum held in Kigali, Rwanda, where he reiterated Nigeria’s commitment to easing movement across African borders.

 

In a statement issued on Thursday, the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) confirmed that operational arrangements had been concluded for the full implementation of the directive at airports, land borders and seaports nationwide.

 

Under the new arrangement, Rwandan citizens will be allowed to enter Nigeria without a visa for up to 30 days for legitimate purposes, including tourism, business engagements and official visits.

 

The Service, however, clarified that visitors wishing to stay beyond the approved period must obtain the appropriate visa through Nigerian diplomatic missions abroad or apply via the Nigeria e-Visa platform.

 

“Under this bilateral arrangement, Rwandan nationals may enter Nigeria without a visa for a period not exceeding thirty (30) days for lawful purposes, including tourism, business, and official engagements,” the statement read.

 

The NIS said the policy reflects the strengthening diplomatic relationship between Nigeria and Rwanda, while also aligning with broader African efforts to promote free movement of persons, trade facilitation and economic cooperation across the continent.

 

It added that the initiative underscores Nigeria’s commitment to regional integration under the AfCFTA agreement, which seeks to create a single African market for goods and services.

 

“The Nigeria Immigration Service notes that this initiative reflects the strong diplomatic and bilateral relations between the Federal Republic of Nigeria and the Republic of Rwanda, while promoting intra-African mobility, tourism, and economic cooperation in line with continental aspirations,” the agency said.

 

The Service reaffirmed its readiness to ensure safe, orderly and lawful migration in line with international standards and the Federal Government’s Renewed Hope Agenda.

 

The visa waiver comes amid growing continental momentum toward easing intra-African travel barriers, as several countries push policies aimed at improving economic linkages, tourism flows and regional investment opportunities.

Continue Reading

Diplomacy

Ghana to Evacuate 300 Citizens from South Africa Over Xenophobia 

Published

on

Ghana to Evacuate 300 Citizens from South Africa Over Xenophobia 

 

The Government of Ghana has announced plans to evacuate about 300 of its nationals from South Africa following renewed protests and rising tensions linked to alleged xenophobic attacks targeting foreign nationals.

 

Ghana’s Foreign Minister, Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa, disclosed this in a post on X on Tuesday, saying President John Mahama had granted approval for the “immediate evacuation” of affected citizens.

 

According to him, the evacuation follows growing concerns over the safety of Ghanaians residing in South Africa amid what he described as “distressed” reports from nationals who had already registered at the Ghanaian Embassy in Pretoria for assistance.

 

“The president has approved the immediate evacuation of our distressed citizens following the latest wave of xenophobic attacks and rising insecurity concerns,” he stated.

 

The development comes amid fresh protests in several South African cities, including Durban, where demonstrators have called for stricter immigration controls and the deportation of undocumented foreign nationals.

 

Protesters argue that illegal immigration is contributing to unemployment, pressure on housing, and rising crime rates.

 

However, South African authorities have denied reports of widespread attacks on foreigners, insisting that some of the viral videos circulating on social media were fabricated.

 

Last week, officials in Pretoria dismissed claims of targeted violence, describing the footage as misleading and unverified.

 

On Monday, the South African President, Cyril Ramaphosa, acknowledged the recent unrest but said the incidents did not reflect government policy.

 

He described them as “isolated acts of criminality” and reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to managing migration issues.

 

“We will regulate migration, secure our borders and enforce our laws,” Ramaphosa said, while urging calm and restraint across affected communities.

 

In response to the escalating tension, Ghana’s embassy in Pretoria issued a fresh advisory on Tuesday, urging its citizens to exercise maximum caution, avoid public gatherings, and temporarily close businesses where necessary, particularly in Durban ahead of planned demonstrations.

 

The embassy also confirmed that it was coordinating with local authorities to ensure the safe movement of affected nationals.

 

The situation has triggered wider diplomatic concern across the continent, with several African countries, including Kenya, Malawi, Lesotho, and Zimbabwe, issuing travel and safety advisories to their citizens in South Africa.

 

In recent days, both Ghana and Nigeria have summoned South African envoys over reported harassment and alleged mistreatment of foreign nationals.

 

Ghana has also escalated the matter to the African Union, calling for urgent deliberations, warning that the situation poses a “serious risk to the safety and wellbeing of Africans in South Africa.”

 

South African authorities, however, have maintained that the government has “nothing to hide,” dismissing allegations of coordinated attacks and blaming misinformation for inflaming tensions.

 

The government has repeatedly condemned what it described as the spread of “fake videos and images” portraying violence against foreigners.

 

South Africa remains one of the continent’s largest migrant destinations, hosting more than three million foreign nationals, about five per cent of its population though officials believe the actual number of undocumented migrants may be significantly higher.

 

Xenophobic violence and anti-immigrant sentiment have remained recurring flashpoints in the country over the years, occasionally erupting into deadly attacks that have drawn widespread condemnation across Africa and beyond.

Continue Reading

Diplomacy

AI, Genomics Offer Path to Transform Caribbean Health – CARICOM SG

Published

on

AI, Genomics Offer Path to Transform Caribbean Health – CARICOM SG

 

The Secretary-General of the Caribbean Community, CARICOM Carla Barnett, said emerging technologies such as artificial intelligence and genomics present an immediate opportunity to transform healthcare delivery across the Caribbean.

 

Barnett stated this at the opening of the 70th Annual Health Research Conference of the Caribbean Public Health Agency in Georgetown, Georgetown, Guyana, where she emphasised that innovation is key to safeguarding the region’s health future.

 

Speaking under the theme, “Innovations in Health: Safeguarding Our Future,” Barnett said, “We are entering an era where Artificial Intelligence (AI), genomics, and digital health platforms are no longer futuristic, but offer an immediate path to leapfrog historical barriers.”

 

She added that the application of genomic research could enable more tailored treatments for non-communicable diseases, while AI-driven surveillance systems could help predict disease outbreaks before they spread widely.

 

Noting the importance of regional collaboration, the CARICOM scribe said that the establishment of CARPHA in 2011 reflected a collective commitment by member states to act as one in addressing public health challenges.

 

“This collective approach, grounded in surveillance, laboratory strengthening, and research, remains one of our most critical defences against health threats,” she said.

 

Barnett also pointed to ongoing innovations across the region, citing Jamaica’s expansion of electronic health records and Guyana’s use of telemedicine to improve access to healthcare in remote communities.

 

According to her, the rapid deployment of digital platforms during the COVID-19 pandemic, alongside increased investments in laboratory networks and genomic surveillance, has strengthened the region’s capacity to respond to emerging threats.

 

She, however, cautioned that the adoption of new technologies must be guided by ethical considerations, data sovereignty, and public trust.

 

“Who owns the data generated in our clinics? How do we ensure our citizens are not just ‘data points’ for external extraction, but are the primary beneficiaries of breakthroughs?” Barnett queried.

 

The CARICOM Secretary-General stressed the need for a health innovation model that is “sovereign, fair, and rooted in trust,” adding that regional institutions must prioritise inclusive approaches that reflect the needs of local communities.

 

She also commended researchers, academics, and institutions, including the University of the West Indies, for their contributions to advancing scientific knowledge and shaping evidence-based health policies.

 

Barnett further urged the development of a new generation of professionals equipped with skills in data analytics, public policy, and ethical governance to meet evolving health challenges.

 

She said, “If our people do not trust innovation, they will not adopt it. Our research must stay relevant, speaking to the needs of communities as clearly as it does to scientists.”

 

Reaffirming the importance of unity, Barnett noted that the decision to establish CARPHA by merging five regional health institutions underscored the Caribbean’s commitment to collective action.

 

“As we navigate the complexities of 2026 and beyond, this recognition must remain our guiding principle,” she said.

Continue Reading

Trending